Roof fire at rest-home

Balclutha firefighters wearing breathing apparatus damp down a roof fire at a rest-home in Edinburgh Pl on Monday morning.

Crews from Balclutha and Kaitangata attended the incident at a residential rest-home operated by social services organisation Pact.

Balclutha Chief Fire Officer Jason Lyall said what appeared to be a switchboard fire had involved the property’s kitchen and roof space by the time firefighters arrived just before 9am. All occupants had safely got out, he said.

A staff member at the home, who did not wish to be named, said there had been historic issues with the switchboard tripping, but the fire had come as a ‘‘shock’’.

On seeing smoke coming from the kitchen, he had immediately led people to safety, he said.

At the height of the fire, neighbours described seeing smoke emerging from the house, although no flames were visible. REPORT & PHOTO: RICHARD DAVISON